Thursday, September 18, 2008

Almost Normal

Dave is back working at the comic store almost every day now. He really is doing great. There are still some lingering issues that Dave has to deal with, but he is almost back to normal. Same great Dave. :) You can stop by the store and say hi if you would like. Thom is there now with Dave most days to help out now. He's fun to talk to as well. Don't let the mustache intimidate you.

We all appreciate the interest that the comic community has had in Dave's recovery. Now that he is almost better, I can't promise regular updates, because there isn't much left to tell. Anything interesting I will defiantly share.


Anonymous said...

Great to hear!
I have been following the story from Las Vegas, I used to shop Apparitions when I lived in GR, and I am very happy to hear that Dave getting better.
Best of Luck to him. Maybe I can stop by next time I am in Grand Rapids.

Anonymous said...

Comic book store owner skips sentencing of man who robbed him -- 'I'm not dying for vengeance'
by Barton Deiters | The Grand Rapids Press
Thursday December 11, 2008, 5:58 PM
Press Photo/Emily ZoladzJames Muriel-Neal Thompson looks back at his family after receiving his sentence for armed robbery and assault on Thursday at the Kent County Courthouse.

KENTWOOD -- Comic book store owner David Pirkola was occupied setting up for a sale this weekend so he didn't make it to see one of three men who robbed him sentenced to prison.

"I've just been too busy," said Pirkola, the owner of Apparitions Comics and Book Store near Woodland Mall, which was struck by a trio of robbers on April 25. One of the men shot Pirkola near the abdomen, putting him in the hospital for weeks in critical condition.

Circuit Court Judge Dennis Leiber Thursday sentenced 19-year-old James Muriel-Neal Thompson to seven to 30 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to armed robbery. Thompson agreed to cooperate in the prosecution of the other two men suspected of robbing the store, including 19-year-old Marvin Michael-Marquis Jones, whose trial is expected to begin next month, and 19-year-old Jove Marquis Sawyer, who remains at large.

Thompson spoke before his sentence, offering apologies to Pirkola and his family.

"I think I'm a better person than I've shown myself to be," Thompson told Leiber. "I honestly thought nobody was going to get hurt."

Thompson was originally charged with armed robbery, conspiracy to rob and assault with intent to murder. Prosecutors agreed to not charge Thompson with the conspiracy and assault charges if he cooperated in the investigation and conviction.

"I have been the only one to provide any information," Thompson said. "I hope my cooperation shows my sincere regret."

Pirkola is glad to see the case move forward and said he is recovering from his injuries.

"I'm not dying for vengeance or anything," said Pirkola, who just wants to get on with his life, a big part of which is supplying area comic book fans with their weekly infusion of four-color fun.

Pirkola said he wants to see the final suspect caught but is not fretting.

"I don't let myself worry about it," he said. "I've got other things to do."

E-mail Barton Deiters: